Saturday, March 17, 2007

mmmm...That's Maply!

"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup."

Some of you may know that we do a small maple syrup production run each spring. I went to Fleet Farm this afternoon to buy more spiles (taps) so I could add more trees to my evil maple empire. Tomorrow, I will buy a few more spiles and consider that enough. I don't sell the syrup, but it saves me hundreds of dollars by giving in lieu of gifts for just about any occasion. So far we have about 50 gallons of sap collected, which will produce about 1 gallon of syrup. I intend to have about 4 or 5 gallons of syrup this year. You can do the math

7 comments:

Elvis Has Left The Building said...

Well, well, well. Sounds like you're in a sticky situation, ya old sap. Ever try to do evergreen syrup? Makes a nice batch of pinecakes.

Well, enjoy-en de Pannekoeken syrakoeken bun rupin schteigen.
-Das haben wir gleich.

TWaits said...

-We have that directly?

But I always say: Wenn Sie nicht mein Sirup essen, sterben Sie einen langsamen schmerzlichen Tod, der durch Bandwürmer verursacht wird.

Come on over buddy, once the still's warm, we can start on the sap wiskey. Even if it tastes like sap.

k said...

My dad tried his hand at maple syrup production when I was little. I just remember the upstairs bathtub being full of something that we weren't allowed to play with...

and we confirmed the neighbors' suspicions that we were a little different with our large boiling vats in barrels in the backyard.

I'm glad we are in good company.

Anonymous said...

I am all about it- if you think us worthy to add to that little, er gift list there, feel free to add us to it!!!
Seriously, though, that is an activity I am very much interested in....Jason says our tree is too big to do it (plus it's right by the sidewalk and little ruffians would probably meddle with it).
Sometime we should bring the boy out there in the woods to see what it's all about!

TWaits said...

Bring him out soon, it's usually all done by April 1st. Right now I'm collecting about 40-50 gallons a day! The boys were busy running buckets up and down the hill yesterday.

Danielle said...

wish i could stop..time..and..come..over... Sounds...so...amazing...

faith wings said...

My dad usually taps his trees every spring as well. There's nothing so good as fresh maple syrup. He can't this year for health issues (check my blog), and he's very sad of this fact.

My brother and I were always the ones sent to gather every day after school, lugging the large pails up and down our hill. I loved it. Maybe I'll be able to help out next year....