Friday, April 20, 2007

Desensitized

After the horrific murders at Virginia Tech, I thought the next day might be different. I thought that students that sit around me in class would be mournful, sad, concerned, angry, maybe even bitter, but they weren't. A few mentioned "that sucks" in passing, which only sounded like what you say right before you try to get out of a crappy boring conversation.
One of my professors (that I really look up to) asked that we spend the first 10 minutes of class talking about the Virginia Tech shootings. One of the guys said "what happened in Virginia?", to which I thought of how someone who stares at his laptop connected to the internet through entire class periods could not know! Two others claimed they heard about a shooting, but said they didn't know much about it. A few more had read the online updates and knew how many people were dead, and even the order of events, but still they were talking about it as if it was just another news story.
I was baffled and wondered if I was the only person in there who really knew the extent of what happened by it's effect on me. Then it dawned on me (and this is only my theory, I'm not a sociologist), this era of students have never known a world without regular school shootings, post office massacres, and the like. To them, the world works like that. And that's how it is. And they can't change that. If they could, they won't.

5 comments:

K said...

The school staged a car accident today (tomorrow is prom) to encourage the students to think about drinking and driving. Seeing their classmate 'dead' affected students who have been through losing someone - but most of the students could rest assured that it would never happen to them. It could be Eau Claire - it still wouldn't be Bloomer.

Anonymous said...

You may or may not agree with the spin on NPR, but the news station is very valuable to me for information. I think I was one of the best informed folks in the group that was talking about it at church, and I can only attribute that to NPR news. The TV only gives a little slice and soundbites- or worse yet, re-plays the same footage over and over again (thus desensitizing all of us!).

I like radio news also because I can listen to it in the kitchen while baking or in the car while on errands. It's just convienient.

TWaits said...

I agree about NPR, I have 3 NPR stations (and BBC news) on my satellite radio. I don't listen to them a lot, but at any given time you can catch a lot of news in a few minutes.
I think they should have a station that just plays What'd ya know and Prairie Home Companion 24 hours a day.

Danielle said...

Good post twaits, got me to thinkin'. I have a co-worker that literally said, "I just don't watch the news because of stuff like that. I like to stay in my own little fantasy world, ya know?"...

TWaits said...

We should be forced to see what the world is really like. For example, how many people know what's going on in Darfur, or what is happening to the Hmong in Laos right now? The less we know, the more comfortable we are. I'll probably have a post about the Hmong soon.